Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I am feeling unwell. Probably a cold or allergy, but it feels nasty. Savannah's saga goes on. She has been trying to start up her business, as you know if you checked out her website. Unfortunately, though she invested in lights and an online publisher for her galleries, she has had no business. She continues to work at Golden Corral, much to her dismay. Lately, she has been able to do some freelance reporting for a weekly paper in the next town that also publishes on base papers. It does not pay well. At all. But, she loves it. Recently, she applied for a job at a bank, because it carries benefits. She interviews tomorrow. The problem? She does not really want to, holding out hope that she can do her business and reporting. The problem with that? She has to pay off her loan if she still intends to try to attend grad school in the fall. What to do? Another restaurant closer to our house needs servers, but is the money as good? At least she would no longer also be a janitor. At Golden Corral she also has to sweep, vacuum, wipe, put away salad, AND clean the bathrooms. I am too close to the situation to advise. Please pray about this and let me know if you have any words of wisdom.

My in-laws were here yesterday just for the day. it was a great visit, I think.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the job at the bank (or any bank if this one doesn't work out) has a lot of potential for upward mobility. My brother and sister-in-law are proofs of that. I know it's not her dream job, but it would pay the bills. And hey, great hours and lots of holidays, too!! :)

As a mom, it's tough watching your kids struggle. I both dread and look forward to that time in our lives... it's both exciting and frightening. Keep praying...

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how this particular blog works so I chose anonymous but it's me, Stephanie Crow!

I looked at Savannah's website and she does very nice work.

There is a local artist group called Art and Design Society of Okaloosa, ADSO. They sponser local shows and it seems to be one of the larger artist groups. Showing her photos might help her get her name out there. There are several other artist groups in the area if she might like to try that route, I'd be glad to send you the links/contact info.

As for the job situation, Starbucks provides really good benefits (after 60 or 90 days, I'm not sure which) and they are pretty flexible on the schedule. Ashley has been working at the new PC Starbucks while she's finishing school and really loves it. Applications are available on line at Starbucks.com.

Anonymous said...

Sorry the SCAD thing didn't work out in ATL. We're probably moving to Korea in July so we won't even be around. We hope to know very soon.

If Steph Crow stops in to your blog again, tell her to look me up by clicking on my name. K?

Hope y'all get to feeling better.

We'd love to see y'all before our possible move.

Hynson Family Notes said...

We will keep praying that God lead Savannah where He wants her to go. An answer will come, maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will come.
I have looked at her website and she has some very nice work on there. She is talented.

Chastains said...

Stephanie, Savannah is very interested, plese send the info. Melinda, I am SO sorry you are moving to Korea--Beth hates it there! She is leaving probably in July. We MAY come for a day or two in the next couple of weeks, but that is doubtful. SCAD MAY happen in the fall. If not then, we are planning a trip to Atlanta in the summer. Guess we better make it early summer, huh?

Anonymous said...

Wow! So much has been going on. I've had minimal time to read.

I will be praying for Savannah. I am sure it is hard on her.

Is that Beth Candelario? tell her to contact me----I would love to see their family if they come to Japan!

We are hoping to be Stateside sometime during the summer. We should know soon too.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Get some rest!

Anonymous said...

We're actually very excited about Yongsan. No, it's not Yokota, but still, it's Asia. We're pretty positive about all the new opportunities, including more ministry time within the chapel/PWOC as well as checking out the local multilingual/-cultural churches. Sorry Beth's had such a bad time with it.

About Me

My photo
I am a homeschooling mom who enjoys many things, but has time for very few, at the moment , at least.