Wednesday, January 30, 2008


I seem to have less and less time, even though I backed our rising time to 6 AM! I am starting to doubt my teaching ability-------again! Or is it my methods? Why are all my children different? Some learn this way, some that. Only 2 like me!
These are rhetorical statements, of course, I KNOW all children are different, it can just be very frustrating. I have gotten away from lesson plans, and have little time to write them anyway with a new baby, and it is costing me time during school. I really think I might switch to Sonlight if I had the money, mostly for the lesson plans and great books! I am also frustrated with Ben. He has just got the winter blues and gotten lazy about schoolwork. If he was at home, I could get around this, switch up the topics, or have a unit study, but it is messing up his grades! Not a fun post, sorry!

Jennifer sent me a great Japanese potty chair! No more misses on the floor, AND Grant is really motivated. You get the great friend award, Jennifer! We laughed about the random snacks included in the box, and Ben tried to read them in Japanese, but was only successful with one.

We tried to make potato(whole wheat) bread and Fumi and chef salad last night. What with starting late, making too few mashed potatoes and having to run to the grocery store to get ingredients, we did not sit down to eat until 7:15! And the bread did not finish until after 8! People were grouchy from starvation and several frustrated from poor help, or lack thereof!

On the upside, while waiting for the bread to rise, we held a hoola hoop(or is it hula hoop) contest. Savannah has always been great at this activity(sport) and recently learned that it is fantastic for ab workouts. Anna has been a rising star, so we thought it would be fun to see how she held out. First we let other siblings attempt the overthrow. Grant and Ben were about equal in timing. Trinity was only slightly worse than Joel. Even Ivy only survived 42 seconds. Lo and behold, if Jeanette did not turn out to have a hidden talent for hula hooping! She barely moves when it whips around her. In fact, it turns out she can chicken dance while keeping the hoop moving! We stopped the contest after 20 minutes, as it was getting quite dark! Poor Anna-Laura did not get to compete at all, but knows her head is on the chopping block.
(In case you are wondering, Michael and I did not compete, though I DID try DDR this weekend, and my dance pad was squirrelly and quit midway through my song.)

3 comments:

Hynson Family Notes said...

How do you Chicken Dance and keep a hula hoop moving at the same time? I laughed out loud at the mental picture.Since I can't even hula hoop I find that very talented. You are such a fun mom.

Anonymous said...

What a great picture! We have one of those but I can't do it for the life of me!

Glad you are enjoying the potty. I bought a different one this time b/c the Bunny Store didn't have the one I got last time. I hesitated on the color but it was that or a girly pink one----I thought the Black and gray could be unisex.

I sent you a link via Facebook to encourage you in HSing. I know you already know these things but thought the link could encourage you.

Glad you made it back safely!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have mid-winter school blahs, like the rest of us. Oh, sometimes I think I'm messing it all up for good. I guess we all wonder and hope for the best sometimes.


But hey, look at you doing something to blow the blahs away! Good for you, you playing-mom you! That is worth more than a month of lesson plans. :)

About Me

My photo
I am a homeschooling mom who enjoys many things, but has time for very few, at the moment , at least.