Thursday, October 11, 2007

Do you have those days where you just want to crawl in a hole, or go home and try again another day? Yesterday was one of those for me.


My daughter Anna-Laura is renowned for her other-worldly thinking. Her first hypothesis that momentum alone would carry a stroller containing a 27 pound 2 year old down a steeply graded hill on a golf course was proven wrong. Thankfully, she did not attempt further experiments, and no 2 year olds were permanently damaged in this research. She further discovered that it is possible to empty the dining area of an Arby's restaurant by changing aforementioned 2 year old in the middle of the room! I take full responsibility. Shame on me for not mentioning previously the results of these ideas. Since I already new the outcome, I should have shared the information with her!


Seriously, my face was red, and I was ready to crawl home and lick my wounds. She was sheepish. It is a fine line not to damage her as well with what I say. I am not quite sure I managed it.


What gave me pause was thinking that really the only thing damaged was my pride. Here I am, careening around town with 5 or more children in tow, representing large families and homeschoolers everywhere. Not to mention the large"bus" I drive that bears the vanity plate " JE5U5" . How could I not be in full control of my children at all times? I mean, I have already sucessfully raised 2 reasonably bright and productive children who are adults. But no, there is still more I have to learn. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW I am not perfect. I guess I needed a reminder.


Ivy has been the reigning speed queen in cross country, but lately, some other girls are catching up and even passing her. Unfortunately, middle school girls can be a little snide. The first time, we almost had tears. I have been so proud of her gracious responses to the jibes cast her way recently. She just does her best, and effusively congratulates the winner (and the others who pass her.) Here is a picture of her in action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Please come out of the hole that you crawled into. Yours was the first large family that we got to know and the Lord greatly used you in our lives. Also, pass some of Ivy's graciousness over to me. I could use some.
A'nia

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a homeschooling mom who enjoys many things, but has time for very few, at the moment , at least.