Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My friend Jennifer(not sure how to link you to her blog) asked us to give a testimony of God working in our lives. Lately I have had to trust more than ever, especially financially.
Last week, Michael was about to take Grant to a football game, but the night was a little chilly. He asked me to get a jacket for him. I had to say I did not have one! Then I remembered someone at church had given us a bag of clothes for him. I ran to the garage, and there was a jacket, in his size! Two days later, a different person at church handed me a bag filled with bakery snacks.
So, God IS providing for us. It is just so hard to let him lead me to the "green" pastures. If you have seen "that the world may know" video lessons, you know that a "green" pasture in Israel is really just enough grass for the day, not any rolling green meadows.
I am thankful that we have no large medical or family issues hanging over us. I knew seminary would be difficult, but did not imagine quite this. Mostly I have a hard time(pride again?) telling my children that they cannot have something, go somewhere, do some activity. I hate having to admit to people that I cannot pay for the costumes for the musical, or go on a trip to see Ben's race.
Sometimes I can see the humor. Like when the ac was out(not due to us), I told the children we could pretend we were missionaries in a tropical climate with no ac. The older ones did not go for it.
God knows our situation, and He has a purpose and a plan. I KNOW this in my head. I just have a hard time living it! At times I just want to holler, "Just tell me what I am supposed to learn from this so we can move on!"
May God bless those who read this!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for your sweet comment today. After reading your post, I can see how the quotes were timely. I have definitely been there myself, which is why I have those quotes tucked away to begin with!
I've also struggled through it with my sister as she has asked the same questions, going through infertility and 3 miscarriages, along with all the financial stresses that come with that. Our natural "fall back" tendency is to say "what do I have to DO to make this better?" But you know the answer to that. It's not some kind of cruel cosmic game, after all. ;) Your transparency and willingness to be honest is encouraging. It really is just a day at a time sometimes. Even an hour at a time!

I do know what you mean, too, about how difficult it is to have to admit you can't afford something! Our hearts desire to provide well. You know, sometimes we get to minister, sometimes we get to be ministered to. Guess what? You have the privilege of receiving this time! And one day you'll be able to give, and you'll have more compassion for having had this experience.
You already know all of that, I don't need to tell you any of this, I'm sure... but sometimes it does do a soul good to hear things SAID, somehow.
And, hey, I'd love to hear about making the "trip" to seminary sometime! That sounds interesting...
Hang in,
Jen

Vasquez Klan said...

Hey mom, take heart! You have always been good at making it through tough times in the past, and making them fun and memorable. I still remember using cloth napkins, and diapers and drinking powdered milk and who could forget "freezer fun night?" You give the kids soo much, they would only be selfish to want more. I love you! Savannah

Anonymous said...

It's difficult transferring the head knowledge to the heart, isn't it? I've struggled too lately with wanting to "know"--- "when" for the delivery of this baby so Brett can be here. I know in my head but my heart struggles....I'd hate to labor and deliver without him and yet, I know if it happens that way, it'll be okay too.
I know what you mean about the "green" pastures and just enough grass for the day and not any rolling green meadows. That describes me and my situation right now and that is my focus---grace only for this moment---not any more not any less. You know we still have no baby name and without Brett here, we have not talked about it one bit. However, I have been contemplating the name "manna". We would not call him Manna--it might be a little extreme and over the edge but we could call him Manny for short and still record this time with how God does provide for each day.
Remembering and praising God for His faithfulness keeps us humbled and grateful. I have always appreciated your positive spin on things---like the A/C. :)
By the way, I bought some powdered Aquarius for you but it's at my house----I wish I would have brought it down here so I could mail it to you. The hospital here has post office inside. I did check their commissary to buy you more to send from here but they do not have any powdered kind. When Brett comes down next, I'll have him bring it down to mail. My mom also picked up some to bring bck to you.

Chastains said...

I am SO excited about the Aquarius! Thank you all for your encouragement. Savannah you almost made me cry! We are so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Laura,
That's what it's all about. Raising godly children. Savannah I am proud of the godly young woman you have become too!
It's not whether they have coats, or toys or even gourmet meals but are their hearts tender to the Lord?
Persevere my friend---persevere and be encouraged!

Momma Tammi said...

Boy, can I relate. I've always been the one to "be there" for everyone else and now, I guess that God has determined it is time for others to "be there" for us. I don't like this side of the equation because of that pride that needs to be crucified over and again. I have learned to graciously say "thank you" but it is still difficult. God truly has taught us that He is our provider. We have to travel so much and we never know if we are going to have the finances to make the trips, but some how, God always provides. We never know if we are going to have enough to cover the rent or utilities or previous debt, but we have never been late and we always have food in the fridge. What we have need of, God provides and He has even given us some of our wants, like my new totally awesome camera. Our faith is being tested in everyday practical ways and we will come forth as pure gold, tried in the fire. It causes us to pray more and to draw ever closer to our Savior, so in spite of the frustration that comes with the trial, I'll rejoice that He is doing the work in my soul. Hang in there. I've got time to listen if you need to talk. 360-899-5908 or 360-395-5861. Love ya!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a homeschooling mom who enjoys many things, but has time for very few, at the moment , at least.