Monday, April 14, 2008

About a BLOG

I noticed one of those "buttons" on a blog where you can check the readability of your blog. A couple of the blogs I read announced their status as "college-level" readability. Not that only college educated people were able to read it, just that their writing was on that level. Was it vanity that made me enter my blog? I was horrified to receive an "elementary"level. My children tried to console me, saying that it was great that all levels of folks could read my blog. But, at a deeper level, I felt absolutely upset. After all, how many elementary students know the word "erstwhile", I ask you? I railed at the computer, much to the amusement of my small child filled audience. Somehow, wanting to vindicate my report, I entered Savannah's photography business page. I sat there dumbfounded as the diagnostic proclaimed her blog to be on "Genius" level! Am I a blog-writing snob?
Once upon a time, my husband would shout out "ching! 25 cent word!" when I used a long word in a sentence. For a few weeks, I used smaller words, wanting to avoid this particular form of announcement. Then I decided that using smaller words meant that I assumed the person I was talking to was not as smart as I was. That was not right either! Finally I just decided to be myself, and my dh has stopped giving my words money designations.
For a time, we had a single friend who would actually whip out a notebook and write down my "vocabulary" words. Let me tell you, that will give you a bit of false pride! One day, a group of us were discussing the tomato, is it a fruit or vegetable? When I said, "Horticulturally speaking, the tomato is a fruit." Someone on the other side of the room burst out laughing, "Did you just say horticulturally speaking?" "Now I have heard everything!" I'm fairly certain he was being sarcastic!
I want to be clear in my writing, but also not ramble on. Most mistakes I make are usually typing errors, but I am not the most articulate, either. I guess my feelings were a little hurt. By a computer program. Who knows what criteria it is set up to judge? Boy, do I need to get over myself or what? Another little lesson on pride for yours truly!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny!

I enjoy your Blog only because I enjoy you and your friendship! :)

The readability doesn't really matter, does it?----and I am not sure what the criteria for it was but it doesn't accurately gauge it according to some of the Blogs I typed in just to check and compare.

Anonymous said...

there's probably something wrong with this quiz. sorry if initiating the quiz brought grief. i have doubted many of the results for people who have taken the quiz. i think your blog and writing are both great! and there's an elementary word -- great -- how about something like stupendous or something even more dramatic like....i can't even think of anything. so i don't know why my blog scored so highly. glad to see you back online!

Anonymous said...

First of all, you're way smart enough not to trust a COMPUTER PROGRAM to determine your intelligence, ha ha!

Second of all, (or should I say "secondly?) I've read some of those blogs, and I don't agree that they are all truly college level, not that that any "level" is better than another.

And C. :),
I'm not buying it - that you are "elementary" material. I do not give "fake" comments, either, so don't insult me. :) I'm not obligated to come over here and make you feel better, you know - so if I'm taking the time to type this out, you can believe me when I say you do not read on an elementary level at all. So there you go. :) (please read with accompanying sardonic wit... there's a .25 word for ya! don't look it up, I don't know what it means...)

But I LOVE it that you care!! It's so great to find out that other people are as crazy as I am! LOL! Computers and blogs can make or break my day, you know what I mean? Yes, I see that you do...

So you can go to bed and stop spluttering now that you know the truth. Just think about all those computer programs coming up with all those crazy global warming statistics! We can be addicted to computers, evidently, but they are never to be trusted... what wily creatures they are with minds of their own devious nature. I think they are secretly laughing at us behind our backs...

...or am I a tiny bit paranoid? :)

Chastains said...

Thanks, Jennifer, and once again, you went straight to the heart of the matter---you came over here to make me fell better. How silly am I?

Oh Melinda, just think of it as a lesson in pride for me! I KNOW that it makes no difference, I just felt demoted somehow. By the same token, I don't want my friends to feel slighted by my blog readability, so I guess it is good.

Chastains said...

ARGH< typing error, feel better!

Again, I repeat, I am an idiot!

About Me

My photo
I am a homeschooling mom who enjoys many things, but has time for very few, at the moment , at least.